Having a job in radio is fun and all - but some days are very sedentary to where I need to remind myself to get up and walk around the building. I've gained some weight which I feel like I'd like to lose - to get to my mental "happy point" - so I've discovered nine ways to really force the weight off.
It really is just common sense, but sometimes you need to read them to really set yourself in motion to do it.
- Eat Your Calories, Rather Than Drink Them - By eating, your body will feel a lot more "full" than if you just drink something. With me - I can easy drink a ton of juice/sodas and still feel hungry. You've gotta trick your body into thinking it can't handle any more food.
- Manage Stress - Sometimes stress can be a culprit at retaining weight. Other times, people may find themselves "stress eating" which can have a very negative effect on the body. Especially if you aren't tracking what you're taking in.
- Eat Lean Protein - eat more fruits and veggies, while still eating enough of your recommend protein daily to still build those muscles you've always wanted. For me - I'm a steak person, but even I have had to cut back on how much steak I have in one sitting. Stick with chicken, turkey, fish and beans for your best sources of protein.
- Get Plenty Of Sleep - I know, sometimes we find ourselves starting a Netflix movie at 11pm, and it sucks to have to stop it because it's too late... but really your body requires between 7-9 hours of sleep a night. Everyone is different, and sure you make believe you only need a little bit of sleep, but it's adding up in other ways... such as weight. Your body has a certain way to regulate itself, and a lot of that "calorie burning" actually happens during your sleep phase.
- Know that Eating Fat Will NOT Make You Fat - There are good fats, and bad fats - which you already know... and it's suggested that you eat more more than 30% of your daily calories in fat. Stick to the healthy fats, like ones found in fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil... and avoid the butters and margarines.
- Track Your Foods - Obviously a sure-fire way to really know what your calorie intake in each day. I recommend an app such as "MyFitnessPal" - which I use as well. You can plug in your current weight, and height - tell the app how active you are daily, and what your goal weight is... hit a button and it tells you how many calories you should be eating daily... You then use the app to track your calories... Sometimes you'll be amazing at a normal meal you eat can actually consist of your entire daily diet.... *cries*
- Calorie Deficit - By tracking your food intake, you will want to achieve a caloric deficit.. Simple way to explain... You want to BURN more calories than you eat - each day. This is why an app like MyFitnessPal is so important.
- Exercise is a MUST - Incorporate High Intensity Interval Training into your routine. This is a fast workout, but it will put you though the ringer exercise wise. The motive behind it is... you're going to kick your bodie's butt, but even after the workout is done - your calories are still burning for a long time. I'm not a gym person in the slightest bit - however, I will do some dumb bells in my living room, and jogging in place to get my heart going. I'll put some HIIT video below...
- Strength Train - As much as anyone hates sweating and really working out, this is a must - even beyond the HIIT you're already doing. You're losing calories, but you want to build that muscle. Your scale may say the same number - but remember, muscle weighs a ton too - so you're going to look amazing anyway!
Those nine simple steps will help you out a ton. I can say that I'm doing maybe HALF of those... and I need to kick myself to get on the rest.... I wish there was a miracle pill - sadly, the above is all we have for now.
Here are some videos to help you get started:
This next dude sounds like Ed Sheeran... try this 10 min workout!